If you’ve never tried dulce de leche, then you are seriously missing out. If you don’t know what Dulce de Leche is, it’s a rich confection made by heating sweetened condensed milk. You can eat it on cookies or crackers, use it to fill cupcakes, or just eat it on it’s own! There are many different ways to make dulce de leche. I like to make it on the stovetop. Normally, I have my mom’s pressure cooker and cooking time only takes an hour. However, if you don’t own a pressure cooker, you can still make dulce de leche by following these steps.
Stove-top Dulce de Leche Recipe
1. Start by removing the label from your can of sweetened condensed milk.
2. Pierce three holes at the top of the can in a triangle formation. *This step is critical as it helps release the pressure from the heat, preventing the can from exploding.*
3. Place the can in a pot, and fill it with water 3/4 of the way up the side of the can.
4. Bring the water to a simmer and let the milk cook for about 3-4 hours. (Longer if you want a thicker consistency.) I usually cook mine for approximately 4 hours. If milk comes out of the piercings at the top of the can, make sure it doesn’t spill over.
5. Use tongs to remove the can from the water, and place it somewhere to cool.
6. Mix the dulce de leche until it is smooth. Let it cool before refrigerating.